I was wanting to find a cornbread recipe that didn’t take a lot of butter to make. Plus, I was looking for a recipe for a 9 x 9 inch pan. This easy Amish cornbread recipe is what I settled on.
I have a cornbread recipe that I love. However, it is hard to half since you make it with 3 eggs. I hate having to half an egg. This easy Amish cornbread is on the cakey size, but not as cakey as my other recipe. It also didn’t seem to taste as sweet when eating it.
Cornbread is always a perfect side dish to chili or another bean type soup like taco soup. It is also good with other soups too. Cornbread is a timeless comfort food that brings warmth and hominess to any meal.
You start this bread by mixing the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder together in a large bowl. In another bowl, you whisk the eggs, milk, and melted butter together. Once you combine it, stir the wet ingredients in with the flour/cornmeal mixture with a fork until combined.
Pour the batter into a grease 9 x 9 inch baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Test with a toothpick to make sure it’s done. It’s ok to have some crumbs on the toothpick, it just needs to be dry.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use buttermilk instead of milk?
Absolutely! I use milk because that is what the original recipe calls for but buttermilk would be fabulous.
Is it possible to make this cornbread without eggs?
Yes, you can try substituting eggs with alternatives like applesauce, mashed bananas, or commercial egg replacers for an egg-free version. Just be sure to adjust the quantity based on which substitute is used.
Can I prepare this ahead of time?
Yes you can. Bake it, let it cool completely, and store it in an airtight container. Reheat slices in the oven or microwave before serving.
Can I make this in a skillet instead of a baking dish?
Absolutely! Using a cast-iron skillet that’s around 9 inches. Be sure the skillet is well-greased before pouring in the batter. This will result in a crisper crust.
What variations can I try with the Amish cornbread recipe?
Try additions like shredded cheddar cheese, chopped jalapeños, or herbs to personalize the flavor.
Here’s what you need to make the
Easy Amish Cornbread
- YELLOW CORNMEAL – Yellow cornmeal gives it that great color, but white cornmeal will work too.
- ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- SUGAR – You could try honey in place of the sugar.
- BAKING POWDER
- BUTTER OR SHORTENING – I prefer to use butter.
- LARGE EGGS
For more cornbread recipes, try:
Easy Amish Cornbread
Real Mom Kitchen
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp butter or shortening melted
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Add dry ingredients to a bowl and mix together.
- In another bowl, beat eggs, add melted butter and milk together.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix with a fork only until combined. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes. Test by poking a toothpick into the center, you want just a few crumbs sticking to the toothpick. Serves 9.
This recipe is adapted from Amish Heritage.