I love me some GOOD bbq ribs, but now just isn’t the time to be grillin ribs in Utah. A great way to do them at this time of year is in a crockpot. I have shared a recipe before to make them in the slow cooker. That one is a simplified recipe, just using ribs and barbecue sauce.
Today’s recipe for Crockpot Barbecue Ribs requires a little more work, but is well worth it if you’ve got it. My family LOVED this ribs! I will most definitely be making these again. Slow and low is always the way to go with ribs so the crockpot is perfect.
This one get coated with a dry rub before getting cooked in the slow cooker. Then you jazz up some bottled sauce to coat the ribs with. The ribs then get finished in the oven to get the sauce all caramelized on the ribs. If it was grilling season, you could totally finish them on the grill so I have included instructions on how to do so.
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp paprika (I used smoked paprika)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp mace
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 1/2 lbs. baby back pork ribs
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tsp worchestershire sauce
- In a bowl, combine the cumin, brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, mace, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Rub the spice mixture over the ribs.
- Spray your slow cooker with non stick cooking spray and place the ribs in the slow cooker. I place them in standing on their sides rather than laying them in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- When the ribs are almost done cooking, combine the bbq sauce, ketchup, vinegar, mustard and worcestershire sauce in a sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until hot. Once sauce is hot, reduce to warm. Keep warm until ribs are ready.
- Once ribs are done, line a baking sheet with foil and place the ribs on the baking sheet. Place half of the prepared bbq sauce in a bowl and bast ribs with sauce.
- Place ribs in the oven on broil for 3-5 minutes per side. Serve ribs with the remaining half of the sauce.
For grilling: Baste ribs with sauce and grill on a grill that has been coated with oil. Grill over medium to medium high heat fro 2-3 minutes with the lid closed. Flip and repeat.
Recipe adapted from My Life As A Mrs.