This post contains affiliate links.
I had a recipe that I was planning on making this week for white chicken chili. Then I stopped by Melanie’s blog, Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. Melanie has never led me astray. I have always been pleased with any recipe that I have tried from her. Melanie had a post on there for Creamy White Chili. Melanie is a huge fan of white chili and has made several different recipes. However this is what she said about this recipe, “It is no exaggeration to say that this recipe makes it to the very top of that list.” So I decided to scrap the other recipe for now and give Melanie’s recipe a try.
My husband was turning his nose up at the dish when I placed it in front of him. He’s a very picky eater. After he tasted the chili, he said he was presently surprised at how good it was. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get my 8 year old son to eat it. He’s a clone of my husband. Oh well, maybe next time he might give it a try. The rest of us absolutely loved it. This was great served along side a piece of cornbread. Tomorrow, I’ll share with you my secret for making honey butter to top you cornbread. Thanks again Melanie for another winning recipe.Print
Creamy White Chili
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp oil (I used olive oil)
- 2 cans (15 1/2 oz each) Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 oz each) chopped green chilies (According to Melanie if you like less kick, add just one can. I only used one can and it was perfect for us.)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, saute chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add beans, broth, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and cream. Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately. Melanie said this is especially good served with tortilla chips. Makes about 5 servings.
This has been my go to recipe for creamy white chili for years! I have requests for the recipe everytime I make it!
[…] Creamy White Chili […]
[…] 10.Creamy White Bean – this soup uses some great spices along with chicken, sour cream and whipping cream. […]
I'm making this again tonight…I have family in town & can't wait to share it w/ them!
Thanks for your comment today! I made this recipe on Saturday and we LOVED it!!!! I had some corn tortillas in the fridge so I cut them into strips, put them on my pizza stone, sprayed with olive oil pam, seasoned and baked until crispy….yummy!!!
Momzilla’s is pretty good so far…If you want, I’ll send it to you when I’m done! Just email me! (in my profile)
Laura – I’m so glad you liked this and if it makes you feel any better, my boys didn’t eat it either, but the adults LOVED it! Thanks for your sweet words about the recipes you see on my blog…don’t hesitate to ever tell me if one doesn’t work out…that is to be expected!
Great Northern beans are white beans that kind of look like a kidney bean, but not so big. Does that sound abuot right? I don’t have any of those on hand, I wonder if I could use pinto beans in place of the other beans. I think I’ll try that out tomorrow! Thanks for all of the great recipes! I can’t wait for the honey butter! MMMM!!
Come on over to my blog for a giveaway!
Also, Great Northern beans. In case I don’t see them for some reason, what are they, what color? If you could send me an email I would appreciate it!!!!
This is going to my sidebar list of morsels to make. It looks awesome. Thanks!!!!