I have never really been a big fan of spaghetti carbonara. However, I completely love this creamy bacon spaghetti carbonara recipe! The addition of some cream with the egg makes it so much better. Plus, it incorporates mushrooms which are one of my favorite veggies!
Carbonara is a pasta dish usually made with eggs, Parmesan cheese, bacon, and black pepper. A mixture of raw eggs, grated Parmesan cheese and ground black pepper is combined with the hot pasta either in the pasta, but away from direct heat, to avoid curdling the egg. Then you usually mix in the cooked bacon. However, this creamy bacon spaghetti carbonara has some additional ingredients from the traditional recipe.
With this recipe you mix the eggs, cheese, and pepper along with some cream, parsley, garlic salt and minced garlic. That cream with the addition of the raw eggs makes a wonderful creamy coating for the pasta. The garlic salt and minced garlic add a nice garlic flavor to the sauce too.
Then you have that cooked bacon, but once you have that bacon cooked you are going to use that bacon fat to add in even more flavor. You use that bacon fat to cook some onion and mushrooms in. Then mix that cooked mushroom/onion mixture along with the cooked bacon. Mama Mia! It’s such a winning combination!
- SPAGHETTI NOODLES
- WHITE MUSHROOMS
- HEAVY CREAM
- SHREDDED PARMESAN
- DRIED PARSLEY FLAKES
- GARLIC SALT
- RED PEPPER FLAKES
- GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- MINCED GARLIC
Creamy Bacon Spaghetti Carbonara
Real Mom Kitchen
- 8 oz uncooked spaghetti noodles
- 7 slices bacon
- ½ large yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped white mushrooms
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded parmesan
- ½ tsp dried parsley flakes
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes optional
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- Cook pasta according to package directions. You will want to keep 1/4 cup of the hot cooking liquid when it finishes cooking.
- In the meantime, cook the bacon. I cook mine in the oven. However, cook however you like to cook it. Then save that bacon grease. Drain and crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Add that bacon grease to a skillet and add in the onion and mushrooms. Cook until the onion and mushrooms are tender. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the cream and then mix in the Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic salt, ground pepper, and minced garlic together. Also add in the red pepper flakes if desired.
- When that pasta is done, set aside the 1/4 cup of liquid and drain the pasta. Add the pasta back to the pot but take the pot off the heat.
- Add in 2 Tbsp of the hot liquid to the egg mixture while cooking. This will temper the egg mixture. Slow mix in the egg mixture now with the cooked pasta. Once it’s all added in keep stirring until the cheese is melted. At this point the burner has cooled down and you can set the pot back on the cooling burner to help melted the cheese if needed.
- Now mix in the bacon, and mushroom onion mixture and serve. You can top with additional parsley or shredded Parmesan cheese for presentation if desired. Serves 4.
This recipe is adapted from The Best Blog Recipes.