I recently went to a women’s dinner at my church and they served this cran-orange almond salad. Lucky me, they even passed out copies of the recipe. I have been completely in love with this salad since I had it. So, I went out the next day and purchased the ingredients for it and have eaten it several times for my lunch. I just create my own individual sized version.
I definitely think the whole cran-orange almond flavor is perfect for this time of year and especially for Christmas dinner. Plus, fresh oranges always go on sale at Christmas. I have seen them at several stores for around 33 cents a pound. However, if you are really lucky you may just find a deal like my mom got last week. She found oranges at Winco for 18 cents a pound! She happen to pick me some up. I know, what a great mom!
The recipe also calls for jicama – love the crunch you get from jicama. However, if you don’t want to get jicama or don’t like it, the salad would still be fabulous if you leave it out. You could even make this a main dish salad and throw some chicken in there if you’d like. This is my absolute new favorite salad and you simply MUST make it. Have copies of the recipe ready for your guests, because they will ask for it!
- RED LEAF LETTUCE
- RED ONION
- DRIED CRANBERRIES
- GRATED ORANGE PEEL
- FRESH ORANGE JUICE
- RED WINE VINEGAR
- CANOLA OIL (OR VEGETABLE OIL)
- GOOD SEASONS DRY ITALIAN DRESSING MIX
- SLIVERED ALMONDS
- 1 large head red leaf lettuce, washed, dried, and broken into pieces (I like a lettuce combo so I used red leaf and butter – a red leaf and spring mixture would also be yummy)
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced sliced and separated into rings (I recommend slicing them very thin, a mandolin would be good if you have one. I wish mine were thinner. I then cut the rings in half)
- 2 – 3 oranges, peeled and sliced then cut into chunks (You can us 2 cans of mandarin oranges, drained – but the fresh orange is fabulous and the more the better for me)
- 1/2 jicama, peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 cup or so of dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Good Seasons dry Italian dressing mix
- 4 ounces slivered almonds
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- For the salad – serve tossed with orange dressing and sugared almonds.
- For the dressing – combine ingredients in blender or shaker jar.
- For the almonds – place almonds in a small skillet and sprinkle with sugar. Cook over medium heat stirring until almonds are coated and starting to brown (a nice tan color) and sugar has dissolved. (Be careful not to burn) Allow almonds to cool.