This is my one and only experience with a pomegranate. It’s a recipe for pomegranate salad that I got from my mom and I think she got it from a friend or neighbor. It is so yummy and so easy. Plus, pomegranates are one of those super foods with many health benefits.
This is the time of year you can find pomegranates in the store and they are usually on sale. I got mine for $1.50 each. This salad is also good for the holiday season. It looks very festive if you use an apple with a green skin. Then you have the bright red arils of the pomegranate. The hardest part of making this salad is cleaning the pomegranate to get those delicious arils out. I have include instructions and picture below on how to do it.
First warning is be careful pomegranate juice stains. So make sure you put on an apron and choose a proper cutting space. Cut off the top, spiky part of the pomegranate. Then you will be able to see it has sections in it like an orange. With a knife, score the sections.
Next you want to put the pomegranate in a large bowl full of water and put it in your sink.
Then take a section of the pomegranate, place it under water and remove the arils (the seed looking things). For the most part, the arils will sink to the bottom and the unwanted yellowish fleshy part of the pomegranate with float to the top. If an aril is floating, then it probably still has a little of the flesh on it. One you do this with all the sections of the pomegranate, just scoop all the fleshy parts off the top of the water and discard.
Then drain the arils and they’re ready to go.Print
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 2 heaping Tbsp of powdered sugar
- 1 dash of vanilla extract
- pomegranate arils, if you have a really large pomegranate you could get by with using have of the arils and save the rest to make another salad the next day.
- 2 apples, diced
- 2 bananas, sliced
- Add the sugar and vanilla to the whipped cream, Taste to make sure sweetness is good, if needed add more powdered sugar. Then mix in fruit and your done.