Recently, I got an email from Taste of Home with a recipe in it for Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas. I absolutely love fajitas and was interested in how this would be in a slow cooker. My husband and youngest son are not a fans of fajitas. So, on the few times I actually make them, they just put the meat only on a taco shell. They avoid the peppers and onions.
My husband usually doesn’t like the steak meat either, because it’s not tender enough.
With this recipe he had no complaints. This meat was flavor full and plenty tender. The only down side is the peppers and onions were kind of on the mushy side. Next time, I’m going to only add 1/3 of the peppers to the slow cooker. This way the meat can have some in there to help flavor it. Then with the 2/3 remaining peppers I will fry them up in a pan, just before serving.
When I made this I only use a red and green pepper and I didn’t have a sweet onion so I used a regular one. I would think the sweet onion would have been even better. I do miss the crispy outside on the meat you get when you grill of pan fry, but I think I would still be happy if I had my crisp veggies. Plus, the slow cooker made this a breeze.
- GREEN PEPPER
- SWEET RED PEPPER
- YELLOW PEPPER
- SWEET ONION
- BONELESS BEEF SIRLOIN STEAKS
- RED WINE VINEGAR
- LIME JUICE
- GROUND CUMIN
- CHILI POWDER
- GARLIC POWDER
- CAYENNE PEPPER
- FLOUR TORTILLAS (8 INCHES)
- REDUCED-FAT CHEDDAR CHEESE (I USED REGULAR CHEESE)
- FRESH CILANTRO
- I ALSO USED SOUR CREAM, YOU COULD DO GUACAMOLE TOO
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 lbs boneless beef sirloin steaks, cut into thin strips
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I only used 1/4 tsp. I was a little chicken that it would be too spicy)
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (I used regular cheese)
- 8 tsp minced fresh cilantro
- (I also used sour cream, you could do guacamole too)
- Place peppers and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with beef. Combine the water, vinegar, lime juice and seasonings; pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until tender. Using a slotted spoon, place about 3/4 cup meat mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top with 1 tablespoon salsa, 1 tablespoon cheese and 1 teaspoon cilantro; roll up. Yield: 8 servings.