Since we have had the offical start of spring, I’ve been wanting fresh and brigh flavors with my food. These chicken and pineapple quesadillas give you just that.
First, the pineapple gets cooked and caramelized in a skillet. Then you take cooked chicken and mix it with some pineapple juice and taco seasoning. That gives you that heat with the sweet. This is a great use if you have left over chicken of grab a rotisserie chicken from the store. Then you mix in the caramelized pineapple along with lime juice and green onion.
You fill the flour tortillas with the chicken mixture along with shredded Monterey jack cheese. Then the tortillas are brushed with melted butter and cooked until they are a crispy golden brown on both sides. Serve these with salsa or pico de gallo on the side. I served my pineapple quesadillas with some pico de gallo. I will share that recipe with you all tomorrow.
- CANNED PINEAPPLE TIDBITS
- COOKED CHICKEN
- TACO SEASONING
- LIME JUICE
- GREEN ONIONS
- BURRITO SIZED FLOUR TORTILLAS
- MONTEREY JACK CHEESE
- PICO DE GALLO OR SALSA
Chicken and Pineapple Quesadillas
Real Mom Kitchen
- 8 oz can pineapple tidbits drained and save the juice
- 2 cup cooked chicken shredded ( I use rotisserie chicken)
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- juice of half a lime
- 2 green onions diced
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 4 burrito sized tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- pico de gallo or salsa
- In a skillet, add pineapple and cook for 2-3 minutes to warm and caramelize. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add the cooked chicken to the skillet along with reserved pineapple juice. If needed you can add a little water too. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Add the pineapple back to the skillet along with the juice of half a lime and the diced green onion. Turn off heat.
- Brush one side of one of the tortillas with melted butter. Plac ethe tortilla butter side down in another skillet. Spread half of the cheese over the tortilla. Then top with half of the chicken mixture. Place a tortilla on top and brush the top iside of the tortilla with melted butter.
- Cook until bottom sized is brown, then flip and brown the other side. Cut into fourths and serve 2 wedges per person. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients. Serve the quesadilla with pico de gallo or salsa. Serves 4.
Recipe adapted from Tidy Mom.