Change up your normal breakfast of scramble eggs and sausage by making it into a breakfast quesadillas. Think of a breakfast burrito, but it has that crispy crunchy tortilla on the outside.
The inside of the quesadilla includes sausage, eggs, and cheese. However, you can always change up the meat to bacon or ham if you want. Those would also be delicious and a great way to use up leftovers. Quesadillas are a way I use up leftovers all of the time.
Melted butter is brushed on the tortillas and then cooked in a skillet until golden brown with those eggs, sausage and cheese sandwiched in between. The cheesy get all melty and delicious.
Then you can serve these breakfast quesadillas up with salsa, quacamole, and/or sour cream on the side. I am partial to guacamole but I didn’t have any on hand at the time I photographed these quesadillas. So I went with salsa, which was still delicious.
- GROUND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE
- SALT AND FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- CHEDDAR CHEESE
- SALSA, GUACAMOLE AND/OR SOUR CREAM FOR SERVING
- FLOUR TORTILLAS
- 1/2 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 6 large eggs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 8 oz grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- salsa, guacamole and/or sour cream for serving
- 8 large flour tortillas
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet until fully cooked. Drain off excess grease.
- In a bowl, add the eggs into a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add eggs to the skillet with the cooked sausage and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, scrambling until almost done. You want then just a little wet.
- Brush a tortilla with melted butter, place the tortilla butter side down in another skillet. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the cheese. Then spread 1/4 of the scrambled mixture over the cheese.
- Top with a tortilla and brush the tortilla with melted butter.
- Cook over medium heat untilthe bottom tortilla is golden brown. Carefully flip to the other side and cook for 1-2 more minutes until golden. Remove to a plate and cut into 4 wedges.
- Repeat this process until 4 quesadillas are make. Serve with salsa, guacamole, and/or sour cream if desired. Serves 4.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from Tastes Better from Scratch.