I have shared a few recipes for pico de gallo before. However, this homemade pico de gallo recipe I am sharing with you today is my favorite. It’s my recipe for pico. This recipe is family friendly because you do not use any spicy peppers.
Instead of jalapeno or serano peppers in this pico, I use those mini peppers from the grocery store. They usually come in a bag with yellow, orange, and red mini peppers. I like to use the orange or yellow peppers to contrast the red of the tomatoes.
The other thing with this pico is you use a red onion. They have a more mild flavor when used raw. They also add a nice color to the pico. I love that purple color.
Last key to making this is the tomatoes. I only use roma tomatoes. Roma tomatoes seem to be the most cosistent on being ripe and having delicious flavor. They also aren’t as seedy and watery on the inside.
On last thing to share with you. If you make my recipe for queso, it is even better if you mix some of this homemade pico de gallo in it! I got this idea from a restaurant called Buffalo Wild Wings. Eat the pico queso with chips, it’s so delicious!Print
- 1 1/2 lbs Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 yellow or orange mini peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 handful of cilantro, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all of the above ingredinets into a bowl and mix together. Allow to sit for 20 minutes before serving. Will keep up to 3 days in the refridgerator.