I have had this great summer spinach salad recipe for years now. Of course, it came from a favorite magazine of mine, Quick Cooking (now Simple and Delicious).
When I first saw this recipe, I thought it sounded a little strange to put bananas in a green salad. I usually put them in a fruit salad, dessert, or jello. Let me tell you, it definitely works. The combination of the dressing with the strawberries and bananas is so yummy. It’s refreshing and different.
Summer Spinach Salad
Real Mom Kitchen
- ½ cup vegetable oil I use canola
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp poppy seeds
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach
- 3 green onions sliced (I don't always add this)
- 2 pints fresh strawberries sliced
- 3 large bananas cut into ½ inch slices
- ½ cup slivered almonds toasted (it works fine if they are not toasted too)
- Place the first six ingredients into a blender or food processor; cover and process until the sugar is dissolved. Add the poppy seeds; process just until blended.
- In a salad bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Serve immediately. 14 servings.