I have had this great summer spinach salad recipe for years now. Of course, it came from a favorite magazine of mine, Quick Cooking (now Simple and Delicious).
When I first saw this recipe, I thought it sounded a little strange to put bananas in a green salad. I usually put them in a fruit salad, dessert, or jello. Let me tell you, it definitely works. The combination of the dressing with the strawberries and bananas is so yummy. It’s refreshing and different.
- ½ cup vegetable oil ( I use canola)
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp poppy seeds
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach
- 3 green onions, sliced (I don’t always add this)
- 2 pints fresh strawberries sliced
- 3 large bananas cut into ½ inch slices
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted (it works fine if they are not toasted too)