This week I am focusing on recipes perfect to serve as part of a Super Bowl Party. Today, I am sharing a recipe for simple Hawaiian roll meatball sub sandwiches each made with 3 rolls. It is like the size of hoagie rolls. However, if you prefer more of a slider version, you can easily adapt this recipe to a slider version.
Those Hawaiian rolls are what makes these simple Hawaiian meatball sub sandwiches so amazing. Several brands are out there but I personally prefer the King’s Hawaiian brand. I also love that I can grab a double back of them from Costco or Sam’s.
If you get them from either of those places, you will have more rolls than needed for the recipe. They come in 2 packs of 16 rolls. Where the package at the regular grocery store has 12 in a package.
Ingredients to make Hawaiian Roll Meatball Sub Sandwiches
- KING’S HAWAIIAN ROLLS
- GARLIC BUTTER
- ITALIAN SEASONING
- FULLY COOKED MEATBALLS
- MARINARA SAUCE
- MOZZARELLA CHEESE
How to make Meatball Sub Sandwiches
For the other ingredients, first you need some frozen meatballs. Again, here I like to use the ones you can purchase from Costco or Sam’s Club.
You can always make your own if you prefer. They just need to cooked fully. With this we are going for convenience, so the frozen version is what I reach for.
You also need some marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. Just pick your favorite store-bought brand in a bottle. I use the pre-shredded mozzarella cheese, but feel free to shred your own.
Last you will need some butter along with a few seasonings. This includes garlic powder and Italian seasoning. You will melt the butter and mix in those seasonings to brush on the rolls and add even more yummy flavor.
To assemble, you will keep 3 rolls together for each of the subs. Then cut a little trench in the center of the “sub” giving you room for those meatballs to fit in there. Once you have that trench, place them on a baking pan. Now you are going to brush the rolls and trenches with some of that melted butter mixture.
Then the rolls go in the oven and bake at 350 for 5 minutes. In the meantime, you are warming the meatballs with the marinara sauce in a saucepan over medium heat. Once you finish those rolls, you will place 4 juicy meatballs into the trench or each sub.
Now comes the shredded mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle some over all of the meatballs in those subs. Then the subs go back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
That’s it, it’s time to enjoy! Your guests will love them. This also makes such an easy and tasty weeknight meal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use different types of cheese for these sandwiches?
Absolutely! You can use your favorite cheese, such as cheddar, pepper jack, or provolone cheese based on your taste preferences.
Can I customize the marinara sauce with extra spices or herbs?
Yes, you can personalize the marinara sauce with herbs like basil, oregano, or red pepper flakes for added flavor.
What sides can I serve with Hawaiian Roll Meatball Sub Sandwiches?
These sandwiches go well with sides like coleslaw, potato salad, fries, or a simple green salad.
For more sub sandwich recipes, try:
- Zucchini Marinara Subs
- Easy Marinara Meatball Subs
- Mini Italain Sub Sandwiches
- Oven Baked Meatball Subs
Hawaiian Roll Meatball Sub Sandwiches
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 (12 count) pkg King's Hawaiian rolls
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 16 fully cooked frozen meatballs
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh parsley optional for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Divide the package of rolls into 4sections, leaving 3 of the rolls connected to make each sub. Cut out a smalltrench down the center of each sub. Place on a baking sheet.
- Combine the melted butter with the garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Brush each of the sub rolls on top and inside the trench with the melted butter mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the marinara sauce and meatballs to a saucepan. Warm over medium heat until heated through.
- Fill the trench of each sub roll with 4 meatballs. Spoon any remaining sauce in the saucepan over the meatballs. Then sprinkle with some of the shredded cheese. Place back in the oven and cook for 5 more minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired for serving.
This recipe is adapted from King’s Hawaiian.