I love a good pumpkin cookie. I love that I can make a sweet treat for my family and know that it includes a healthy ingredient like pumpkin. When I saw a recipe that also included oatmeal in it, I had to try it. The oatmeal just ramps up the healthy aspect even more in these Pumpkin-Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.
The original recipe called for quick oats or old fashioned oats. I was worried that the quick oats would make the cookies too thick, so I opted for the old fashioned oats. Unfortunately the cookies turned out to flat and runny. I made another attempt. This time I used a combination of quick and old fashioned oats. It produced the perfect consistency.
I also make the cookies with just chocolate chips but you can substitute it with any combination of mix in that you think would be good such as raisins and walnuts or white chocolate chips and craisins. If you try something different out, be sure to comment on what you did and how it turned out. I want to try chocolate covered raisins with walnuts next time I make these pumpkin\oatmeal chocolate chip cookies!Print
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, old fashioned oats, quick oats, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the pumpkin, egg, and vanilla to the butter mixture and beat until well blended.
- Blend in the dry mixture until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips and drop by the spoonful onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 for 14-16 minutes until cookies are lightly brown at the edges and set in the middle. Cool on cookie sheets for 2 minutes then remove and place on cooling racks to cool.
- Makes 4 dozen cookies.
Recipe adapted from Very Best Baking.