A few days ago I promised a Thanksgiving recipe that involved Panko bread crumbs. Here it is folks, a green bean casserole topped with panko breadcrumbs. I got this recipe from Kikkoman. This recipe was a welcomed change. It is made with fresh green beans that are blanched. Then they are topped with onions, mushrooms, and garlic that has been sauteed in butter. Then you add a can of cream of mushroom soup which is traditionally found in green been casserole. Then you sprinkle the whole thing with a cup of Panko bread crumbs.
I loved the use of the fresh green beans. You could probably use frozen green beans that have been thawed to simplify this recipe. I also loved the fresh mushrooms in the dish. The whole thing had a nice, fresh flavor. The Panko bread crumb topping was also a refreshing change. You could always top your own green bean casserole with some Panko.
Be sure to visit my giveaway page today, because I’m giving away turkeys! Plus, the Virtual Progressive Thanksgiving continues today at the Unsophisticook with holiday cranberry salad.
I also have a list of other fabulous Thanksgiving sides for you:
No Cream of Soup Green Bean Casserole
Mom’s Sage Dressing
Cranberry Pomegranate Jello
Cherry Apple Jello Salad
5 Cup Fruit Salad
Cranberry Jello Salad
Sunshine Jello Salad
Panko Topped Green Bean Casserole
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh string beans
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 10 oz package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup sliced onions
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup Kikkoman Panko Bread Crumbs
- Wash green beans and break off ends and discard. Then break beans into smaller pieces if desired. I break the beans into 3 to 2 pieces depending on how long they are.
- Place beans into boiling water (with no salt in the water) for 3 minutes or slightly longer for a more tender bean. Remove beans and blanch in a bowl of ice water for 5 minutes. Remove from ice water and drain.
- Layer the blanched string beans in the bottom of a greased casserole dish (I used an 11x 7 dish).
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Sauté the mushrooms, onions and garlic in the butter until the onions are soft, add the can of mushroom soup. Stir to combine soup and vegetables in the skillet, pour mixture over the string beans.
- Sprinkle with Panko Bread Crumbs. Bake at 350º for 20 minutes or bread crumbs are browned.