I have had this Cherry Apple Jello Salad recipe from the time I got married. If you haven’t heard, Salt Lake City, Utah has earned the dubious distinction of having the highest per capita consumption of Jell-O not only in the US, but in the whole world. It is also the state snack for Utah. I know, it’s a little weird to have a State snack.
With those two factors it’s no surprise that this Utah girl is sharing another Jello recipe. This recipe makes a very large jello salad. I also just cut up my apples and then grate then in my food processor for this recipe. Skins are left on the apples when I make this, but you could remove the skin if you prefer to. This is one of my favorite jello salads and we always say there is always room for jello!
- 3 pkgs. (the small boxes) cherry jello
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple (juice and all)
- 5 cups grated apple
- sweetened whipped cream( I whip up one cup of cream)
- In a bowl, mix jello, boiling water, and sugar together for 2 minutes. Add orange juice. Let sit and cool while you grate the apples.
- Add apples and can of pineapple to jello mixture. Carefully pour into a 9 x 13 dish or ladle into individual dishes and refrigerate until set. Top with sweetened whipped cream to serve. Serves 12-16.