The other day I had this recipe for Overnight French Toast Bake from a Betty Crocker magazine. I had this recipe in my to try file for a little bit, and decided it was time to give it a try.
I love breakfast, but usually don’t eat big breakfast meal during the week. Consequently, we have breakfast for dinner at least once a week. So I used this recipe as my breakfast for dinner for this week. It turned out pretty yummy. Most of my family preferred to just use good old syrup to go on top. But I absolutely love the berries. Since everyone didn’t use the berry sauce, I have left over sauce.
Well, since doing weight watchers I have become hooked on Dryer’s frozen yogurt. Ice cream just doesn’t taste as good anymore. I prefer the frozen yogurt, unless it is soft serve ice cream from somewhere like Article Circle or McDonald’s. I’m sure that ice cream has a lot of milk fat in it and that’s why theirs taste so good. Anyway, I used the leftover berry sauce to put on top of my Dryer’s frozen yogurt. It was absolutely wonderful.
I do have one tip for this recipe. Check the french toast at 20 minutes. At 25 minutes, mine was too brown on top, so I laid a piece of foil on top.
- 12 cups cubed french bread
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups half and half
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Spray 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Place bread cubes in baking dish.
- In large bowl, beat eggs, half and half, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla with wire whisk until smooth; pour over bread cubes. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 4 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Bake uncovered for 25 to 35 minutes until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center come out clean.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 bag (12 oz.) frozen unsweetened mixed berries
- 3 cup fresh strawberries, cut in quarters (I didn’t have fresh, so I just thawed whole frozen strawberries)
- In a 2 quart saucepan, stir together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice, until smooth.
- Stir in mixed berries. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook about 6 minutes, stirring constantly, until topping is slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat. Just before serving, stir in strawberries. Serve warm over French toast bake.