I love Dutch oven potatoes. It’s unfortunate that I just can’t fix the as often as I like. However, I found a recipe that’s the next best thing, It is for Microwave Dutch Oven Potatoes.
I got this recipe from KSL (a local TV station) a while ago from Becky Low. I love it. Now, I do like to make sure my bacon is pretty well cooked before I put it in because I don’t like mushy bacon. I also add 2 Tbsp. of butter to the whole thing after it is done cooking.
You add the bacon to a large microwave safe bowl. Then cook it for a few minutes by itself in the microwave. You don’t want it crisp, but you want it cooked.
Next, you will add in the onion followed by the diced potatoes. You also sprinkle some salt and pepper over the potatoes. Then you cover and cook in the microwave for about 15 minutes, giving it a stir every 5 minutes.
- BAKING POTATOES, MEDIUM
- SALT AND PEPPER
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 6 baking potatoes, medium
- 1 onion, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, add bacon. Microwave bacon 3-5 minutes. Stir once or twice during cooking to separate pieces. Bacon should not be crisp but well cooked.
- Peel or scrub potatoes, slice into 1/4 inch slices or 1/2 inch cubes. Slice onion and separate into rings. Layer bacon, onion, and potatoes in a microwave safe baking dish. Salt and pepper each layer to taste.
- Cover. Microwave on high for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender (rotate dish 1/4 turn 3 times during cooking, stir potatoes). Allow potatoes to stand 2-3 minutes before serving. Serves 6.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in June 2017.