Take a chocolate brownie layer topped with marshmallows, toasted pecans and chocolate frosting. Sound like the great makings for a dessert? Well it is what makes these Mississippi Mud Bars I am sharing today.
The brownie layer is soft yet chewy with a great chocolate ratio using melted chocolate and coco powder. Follow that with a layer of ooey gooey puffy marshmallows. Then you gotta have nuts. Pecans are what I used but walnuts, cashews, almonds or peanuts would also work well. These pecans also get a toasting before meeting the marshmallow layer. It adds even more flavor.
Finish it off with a nice drizzle of chocolate frosting made from melted butter, cocoa powder, and milk then whipped together with some powdered sugar and vanilla. Voila! There you have it – M-i-s-s-i-s-s-i-p-p-i – Mississippi Mud Bars. Mud has never tasted so good!
I also started a new giveaway in honor of leap year, be sure to check it out.Print
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 (10.5-oz.) bag miniature marshmallows
- ¼ cup butter
- 2½ Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 2½ Tbsp milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees,
- Place pecans on a baking sheet.
- Place in a 350 degree oven for 4 minutes. Stir and bake another 4 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a microwave safe dish, microwave butter and chocolate chips in a large on HIGH 30 seconds. Stir and microwave another 30 seconds. Stir until smooth.
- Combine the chocolate mixture with the sugar, flour, cocoa, eggs, vanilla, and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Pour batter into a greased or parchment lined 15- x 10- x 1-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and sprinkle evenly with miniature marshmallows; bake 4 to 6 minutes or until nice and puffy.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with pecans.
- In a sauce pan, combine the butter, cocoa, and milk until combined.
- Then cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until slightly thickened; remove from heat.
- Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Place frosting in a quart sized freezer bag. Snip the corner with a pair of scissors and pipe over the bars.
- Cut into bars and enjoy. Makes 15 bars.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from My Recipes.