This post may contain affiliate links.
Today, I am sharing the recipe to my mom’s frozen mud pie. It is a beloved family recipe. Every loves it when they hear we are having mom’s frozen mud pie for dessert.
The base of this pie is an oreo crust. This is the first part of the “mud” in this pie. Next, is a layer of vanilla ice cream. No need for making ice cream. You just soften some store bought vanilla ice cream and spread it over the oreo crust. You could aways change it up by using any flavor of ice cream that pairs well with chocolate. However vanilla ice cream is what you must use for the classic version.
The third layer of this pie is a simple but delicious homemade chocolate sauce. It’s easy to make. you just need some semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, evaporated milk, sugar, and vanilla. You add it all to a sauce pan. Then just cook until everything is combined and boil for 1 minute.
Last, you spread an 8 oz container of Cool Whip over the whole thing. That’s it! Now there is an optional layer of chopped nuts, but mom usually leaves this off. Not everyone is a fan of the nuts. But, you could serve them on the side. Then those that like nuts can sprinkle some over their oven individual serving.
Mom’s Frozen Mud Pie
- Total Time: 8 hours 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- In a bowl, combine the oreo crumbs and butter toether. Press into the bottom of a freezer safe 9 x 13 inch pan. Place the pan in the freezer for about 15 minutes until firm.
- Spread the softened ice cream over the oreo crust. Cover and put back in the freezer.
- In a sauce pan, add the sugar, evaporated milk, chocolate squares, and vanilla. Cook over medium heat until blend and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute and remove from heat. Allow the sauce to cool until no longer. You don’t want it to melt the ice cream layer.
- Pour the cooled sauce over the ice cream layer of the pie. Spread evenly to cove the ice cream. The carefully spread the Cool Whip over the chocolate sauce. Place the pie in the freezer overnight.
- To serve, allow pie to sit for about 5 minutes oustside the freezer. Slice into 12 squares. Serve with nuts if desired to sprinkle on each serving.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stove Top/Freezer
- Cuisine: American