This is a family favorite that I found in the 101 More Things To Do With A Slow Cooker cookbook by Stephanie Ashcraft and Janet Eyring. In the book, it’s called Grandma Brenda’s Frito Pie.
Now, my kids don’t eat this piled up like you’re suppose to. They like it in a bowl with the toppings and then they dip their Fritos in it. They are opposed to the chips getting soft at all.
On the other hand, I eat it the way the recipe suggests. My husband kind of eats it more like soup. He has it in a bowl, with the toppings on it, then puts the Fritos on top. What can I say, they’re all a little weird that way. We also just use sour cream, cheese, and green onion to top ours.
- 1/2 pound ground beef, browned and drained
- 2 (16 oz cans) pork and beans, pork removed
- 1 (4 oz can) chopped green chilies
- 1 (8 oz can) tomato sauce
- 4 to 6 drops Tabasco sauce (I leave this out)
- 1 bag (15 oz) Fritos Corn Chips
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- diced green onion
- Combine all ingredients except chips in a greased 3 to 4 1/2 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Scoop over a handful of Fritos and top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and green onion. Makes 6 – 8 servings (I think it makes more like 5 servings)