Hot dogs are a staple summer meal at my home. We have them at least every other week. However, it can get tiring to just have the typical mustard, ketchup, and relish all the time. Chili dogs are another great option, but this recipe for frito pie chili dogs takes the typical chili dog up a notch.
You can cook your hot dogs however, you want to. I personally prefer to cook mine outdoors on the grill. I also like a good all beef frank to make these will. Ball Park is one of my favorites.
Next, you will need some chili. You can reach for a can of chili or make your own favorite chili. I have a couple of recipes for Frito Pie. You can make the chili from either of those recipes to use on these. Either one will be delicious.
Next are the toppings for these Frito pie chili dogs. These are all the standard toppings you can find on Frito pie. You will need some crushed frito chips, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes, and onions. Red onion or green onions work well for the onions.Print
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- 2 cups prepared chili, heated
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fritos corn chips
- sour cream
- diced tomato
- diced red onion or green onion
- Cook, you hot dogs as desired. I like to cook mine on the grill.
- Place the hot dogs in the buns. Then top with chili and cheese, followed by chrushed Fritos, sour cream, diced tomatoes, and onions.
This recipe is adapted from The Salty Marshmallow.