Today, I have a yummy sandwich for you that would be perfect for a Memorial Day picnic. I adapted the recipe I have shared before to make the base of this focaccia sandwich. The bread recipe really is simple to make. It just takes time to do. If time is not on your side, you can buy a foccacia bread from your local store. You just want one that is about the same 9 x 13 size to make this focaccia sandwich.
Here are some other sandwich recipes perfect for a picnic:
- Chicken Salad Wraps with Strawberries
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Wraps
- Simple Chicken Salad Croissants
- Healthy Bagel Sandwiches
- Fruited Tuna Salad Pitas
- Cobb Salad Sandwiches
- Hummus Sandwich
- Tangy Tuna Salad Croissants
- FOCCACIA BREAD – MADE WITH THE RECIPE BELOW OR A RECTANGULAR SHAPED ONE PURCHASED FROM THE STORE (NEEDS TO BE CLOSE TO 9 X 13 SIZE)
- THINLY SLICED HAM (I USED LAND O’ FROST BISTRO FAVORITES BLACK FOREST HAM)
- THINLY SLICED TURKEY BREAST (I USED LAND O’ FROST BISTRO FAVORITES ROTISSERIE SEASONED TURKEY BREAST)
- SLICED HARD SALAMI (I USED HORMEL)
- JARRED ROASTED RED PEPPERS
- SLICED PROVOLONE CHEESE
- ROMAINE LETTUCE LEAVES
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 foccacia bread sliced in half lengthwise prepared from the recipe below or a rectangular shaped one purchased from the store needs to be close to 9 x 13 size
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 6 oz. thinly sliced ham I used Land O' Frost Bistro Favorites Black Forest Ham
- 6 oz. thinly sliced turkey breast I used Land O' Frost Bistro Favorites Rotisserie Seasoned Turkey Breast
- 3.5 oz pkg sliced hard salami I used Hormel
- 1 7 oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 4-6 romaine lettuce leaves
- Place bottom of the bread on a piece of plastic wrap large enough to cover the sandwich once complete.
- Spread mayonnaise over the bottom of the bread. Then layer on the bread the remaining ingredients in the order listed above.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. When ready to serve slice into rectangles or squares with a serrated knife. For added security, you can place a toothpick in the center of each sandwich. Serves 8-12.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
Real Mom Kitchen
- ½ Tbsp. dry active yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 Tbps. melted butter
- seasonings I used Johnny’s Garlic Spread & Seasoning found it at Costco or Sam’s
- Place yeast, water, sugar, and salt in bowl and stir until dissolved.
- Add flour and stir until well blended. Do not knead. Cover and let rise until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Remove dough from bowl and place into a well greased 9x13 baking dish. Don’t worry about being perfect; you’re going for rustic look. You want indentations all over the dough. Drizzle melted butter over the dough. Use a brush if needed to coat the entire top.
- Now sprinkle the top with desired seasonings. I used Johnny's seasoning which is a combination of Parmesan cheese and Italian seasonings.
- Let rise an additional hour. Then bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until golden. Invert bread onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. The use in foccacia sandwich recipe above.
Recipe adapted from Easy Peasant Bread.