This week, before the big day, I am talking turkey recipes for you. This way when the big day is over, you will know what to do with those leftovers. Today’s recipe is a comforting creamy turkey and rice soup. This soup is tasty and filling.
It’s the perfect way to use up left over turkey! I love some dried cranberries add to my bowl of creamy turkey and rice soup. I love the added sweetness you get with it. I am thinking it may also work well to use come leftover gravy in place of some of the half and half too.Print
- 1 leftover turkey carcass
- 1 tsp celery salt
- tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
- pepper to taste
- Dried cranberries, optional
- Place turkey carcass in a soup kettle or Dutch oven and cover with water (at least 3 qts) along with celery salt, poultry seasoning, onion salt, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove carcass; cool.
- Set aside 3 qt. broth. Remove turkey from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set aside. You want about 2 cups.
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute the onions, carrots and celery in butter until tender. Reduce heat; stir in flour until blended. Gradually add 2 qt. of reserved broth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add cream, rice, salt, bouillon, pepper, and reserved turkey. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add any remaining 1 qt of broth to reach desired thickness. I added 2 cups for mine. Taste and if needed add additional poultry season to taste.
- Serve with each bowl with a sprinkle of dried cranberries if desired. Serves 10-12.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com