Today and tomorrow, I will have some recipes for you to use up those Thanksgiving leftovers. One of the best things for me about thanksgiving is the leftovers! One way that I love to use up my leftovers is in my day after thanksgiving turkey noodle soup. This recipe is a Real Mom Kitchen original by moi! This recipe is made using the turkey carcass. However, you could easily substitute the broth portion of the recipe with canned broth or bouillon.
I like my soup to have plenty of noddles. I also like to use Grandma’s Fresh Frozen Homemade Style Wide Egg Noodles. These noddles are thick and yummy since it’s fresh pasta that has been frozen. It really adds to the homemade flavor of the soup. However, I don’t always use them and regular dry pasta works great too.
Here are some other yummy soup recipe to use up your leftover turkey. On the chicken recipes, just substitute the chicken with turkey. If the recipe calls for cooking the chicken, just add the cooked turkey at the end of the cooking process.
- Black Bean and Pumpkin Chili
- Creamy Mexican Turkey Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 turkey carcass, all meat removed
- 9 cups water
- 1 onion, halved
- 8 baby carrots or 1 carrot cut in half
- 1 whole stalk celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp. of chicken or turkey Better Than Bouillon or 2 chicken bouillon cubes
For the soup:
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and minced or equal amount baby carrots
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 (16 oz) pkg, Grandma’s Fresh Frozen Homemade Style wide egg noodles or 8 oz. of uncooked pasta
- 2 cups shredded or cubed turkey
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley, optional
1. To make the broth: Place all ingredients in a large stock pot except for bouillon. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Remove turkey carcass from pot and discard. Strain both with a colander into another stock pot. Discard remains in colander. Mix in bouillon into broth until dissolved.
2. Make the Soup: In stock pot the broth cooked in, melt butter. Add minced onion, carrot, and celery. Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent.
3. Add onion mixture to stock pot and bring to a boil. Thaw noodles according to pkg directions. Add pasta and boil for time required on package. Add turkey and simmer for a couple minutes just to warm turkey. Ladle into bowls and top each serving with a little fresh parsley if desired. If any soup is left over, it will thicken up after refrigeration. Just add a little water when reheating to thin it back down.