So red, white, and blue make an appearance day in a breakfast recipe. This All-American classic waffles are tasty topped with nutella followed by fruit to create a replica of the American flag.
Now this waffle recipe is great on it’s own, so feel free to use it as just a regular old waffle too. However, for the 4th of July, I thought it would be fun to top them and make them look more patriotic.
You could always pipe on some whipped cream to make the white stripes instead of using a banana if you’d prefer. Also, you can make the waffle what ever shape you want and still decorate it with the berries to look like a flag, but obviously the rectangular shape is the most flag like. 🙂 So start the 4th of July off right with these patriotic waffles!
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- raspberries and banana slices cut in half
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, sugar, and baking powder until combined.
- In another bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet. When batter is fully incorporated, heat the waffle maker.
- Prepare waffles in waffle maker according to manufacturers instructions.
- Spread nutella over each waffle and decorate with fruit to look like an American flag. This made about 10 waffles in my waffle maker.
Recipe adapted from Fashionedible.