As promised today’s zucchini recipe is a savory one. I know the recipe title is misleading. These aren’t sweet cakes, they are a savory cake. It’s like a crab cake but made with zucchini. I got the recipe idea for zucchini cakes from The Pioneer Woman Cooks. Her recipe didn’t include exact measurements of everything. It was more of a guideline for the zucchini cakes.
If you want to see step by step pictures of how these are make, just click the link above and check out her site. I did keep track and write down exactly what I did. These were delicious. I really think the ranch dressing is what adds to these cakes. I had some marinara sauce and I tried the cakes with that too, but I have to tell you that they rocked with the ranch dressing. The marinara sauce was not so hot. Give these a try. They are simple yet so tasty.
They start with shredded zucchini. You squeeze it in a towel to remove as much liquid as you can from the zucchini. I use a flour sack towel. Next is combining the zucchini with bread crumbs, 4 Italian cheese blend, garlic, and an egg. Then shape into patties and cook in olive oil until golden brown on both sides.
- SEASONED BREAD CRUMBS
- 4 BLEND ITALIAN CHEESE
- OLIVE OIL
- RANCH DRESSING
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs, or a little more if needed
- ¼ cup 4 blend Italian cheese
- ½ Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- ranch dressing
- Put your zucchini in a thin dish towel and squeeze out the excess liquid. I have flour sack towels and I used that. Then mix the zucchini, bread crumbs, cheese, garlic, egg and little salt and pepper. Shape into patties.
- Place in a fry pan coated with a generous amount of olive oil on medium heat. Cook for approximately 2 min on each side or until golden brown. Serve with ranch dressing. Makes approx 5 good sized patties.