Years ago, I started creating a collection of zucchini recipes out of necessity. I had zucchini growing like crazy in my garden.
Well now, I have no garden but I still am more than happy to take any excess zucchini from any friends or neighbors. And when it comes down to it, I will even purchase it from the grocery store. I love zucchini. It is one of my favorite veggies and I love how versatile it is.
It just so happens to be National Zucchini Day today. So I just had to celebrate such a holiday for one of my most favorite veggies! I also teamed up with the #celebratingfoodholidays bloggers to provide you a collection of recipes worthy of this food holiday. Be sure to check out the collection after today’s recipe.
Now for today’s recipe, it’s a twist on the classic appetizer loaded potato skins. I swapped out the potato and replaced it with zucchini. I must admit, I think I like the zucchini version better.
- 4 zucchinis
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut ends off of zucchinis and then in half lengthwise. Using a metal spoon, scrape the seeds out from the center. Then cut each half into four pieces.
- Place zucchini on a large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Then toss to coat. Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper and toss to coat again.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Sprinkle each piece of zucchini with cheese followed by the bacon.
- Return to oven and bake for 10 minutes more until cheese is melted and zucchini is tender. Garnish with sour cream and green onions and serve. Makes 16 zucchini skins.
Recipe adapted from Delish.
Celebrating Food Bloggers Zucchini Recipes (all pictured above)
Italian Chicken Sausage Zucchini Noodle One Pot Dish from Ashlee Marie
Cheesy Zucchini Tots from Life Made Simple
Butterscotch Zucchini Blondies from Creations by Kara
Zucchini Fritters from The Baker Upstairs
Vegan Pad Thai Zucchini Noodles from Namely Marly
Crispy Parmesan Zucchini Fries from Foodie with Family
Cheesy Grilled Zucchini Boats from Hey Grill Hey
Instant Pot Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread from 365 Days of Slow Cooking
More Zucchini Recipes from Real Mom Kitchen
Zucchini Marinara Subs
Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Rolls
Zucchini Cake with Sour Cream Frosting
Panko Encrusted Fried Zucchini
Pineapple Zucchini Cake
Baked Zucchini with Mozzarella
Praline Zucchini Bundt
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Cake
Marinated Zucchini Salad
Baked Zucchini Fries