Would you ever think of zucchini as an appetizer? Well today’s recipe is a great one. It is simple but so delicious. The other bonus these cheese stuffed zucchini rolls can be made ahead of time. You could also use these as a side and have 3 or 4 per person. Either way they are so yummy.
These cheese stuffed zucchini rolls are made with a spreadable cheese. If you haven’t used them before, they are delicious. You could always use a garlic and herb cream cheese spread, but I highly recommend the cheese spread. I have used both Rondele and Aouluette. Most grocery stores carry one of those brands. I usually find them in the deli section of most stores.
- SMALL ZUCCHINI
- OLIVE OIL
- KOSHER SALT
- GARLIC-HERB CHEESE SPREAD (LIKE RONDELE OR ALOUETTE, I USED RONDELE LIGHT)
Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Rolls
Real Mom Kitchen
- 3 small zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt
- ½ cup garlic-herb cheese spread like Rondele or Alouette, I used Rondele light
- Slice zucchini into 1/4 inch thick slices lengthwise. A mandolin works best for this but you could always use a good old knife. Discard the two outer slices that are mainly skin.
- Place the remaining slices on a baking sheet brush with olive oil on both sides, you should have around 15 slices. Lightly sprinkle one side with salt to taste. You just need a little, or none at all if you prefer.
- Place slices directly on a grill that has been preheated to medium. Grill the slices until grill makes show on both sides and the zucchini is tender. This could take 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove the slices from the grill and place on the baking sheet. Allow to cool.
- Once cooled, place 1/2 Tbsp of the cheese spread at one end of each zucchini slice. Roll the slice up beginning with the end where the cheese spread is and secure with a toothpick. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. These can be made up to a day in advance. Makes around 15 rolls.
Recipe inspired by Health.com