Here is another new way I found to use up my zucchini. I love lemon and blueberries together so why not add zucchini. I found this lemon blueberry zucchini cake recipe at Kara’s Kitchen Creations. This cake turned out delicious. It was dense and moist. I don’t think you’d ever guess it was made with zucchini. My only complaint was there were so many blueberries in there I didn’t get to appreciate the cake as much as I’d like to. So next time I’m gonna reduce the blueberries to 1 1/2 cups. You could even forgo the frosting. The cake would be great by itself, but it’s even better with frosting.
I’ve also got a free meal for all my viewers if you hurry thanks to Schwan’s. If you haven’t heard of Schwan’s service before, they deliver frozen food items and meal kits directly to your door. Schwan’s is great for busy weeknights. The offer allows any new customer to order one item worth $10 or less for free! This offer is going on through September 30, 2009 or until they hit 500,000 users. Here is a link to a few recipes that Schwan’s offers on the site, this shows how you can use some of their products while still putting your own spin on the meal. I already went and ordered their chicken pot pies. It will be delivered to my house on Monday!
- LEMON EXTRACT (OPTIONAL)
- BAKING SODA
- BAKING POWDER
- LEMON ZEST
- CREAM CHEESE (I USED REDUCED FAT)
- POWDERED SUGAR
- FRESH LEMON JUICE
- 3 cups peeled and shredded zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 1 tsp lemon extract (optional, which I used)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups blueberries (Next time I’m trying 1 1/2 cups)
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 Tbsp soft butter
- 3 oz soft cream cheese (I used reduced fat)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- dash salt
- zest of 1 lemon (2–3 tsp)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (approximately)
- Beat zucchini, sugar, eggs, oil, and lemon extract. Sift together dry ingredients and stir in with lemon zest. Fold in the blueberries gently. Pour into a well greased and floured Bundt cake pan.
- Bake at 325 for about 65 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean. Let sit in pan for 5-10 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack. Cool completely and frost with lemon cream cheese frosting.
- To make the frosting – Beat butter and cream cheese till smooth. Add powdered sugar, salt, zest, and enough lemon juice to make a spreadable consistency.