The other day when I made the pork skewers recipe, I made it from half of a large pork loin I had in my freezer. I needed something to do with the other half. I wanted to do something in the slow cooker and went to search the web for a recipe. Then, I found one for slow cooker pork tacos on one of my favorite sites, tasteofhome.com.
The recipe said that it came from their healthy cooking magazine called Light and Tasty. The recipe called for items that I had in my home with the exception of the dried apricots. I found it to be an interesting ingredient for a pork taco.
So, I was heading out to the store that day and decided to pick some up.
I figured it would add some sweetness to the dish. Now, I must say this meat turned out beautiful. It was quite colorful. The apricots turned a yellow color which added to the red from the pepper and green from the salsa. It was very colorful.
It was also delicious. I now have another great Mexican crock pot dish to add to my collection. The apricots added a nice element of sweetness to the whole thing. This dish is also quite healthy. Before adding your toppings, this dish is calculated to have 301 calories per taco. You could reduce those calories even more if you chose a healthier tortilla. This just called for you traditional white flour tortilla. I used corn but it would also be great with a whole wheat tortilla.
- BONELESS PORK SIRLOIN ROAST
- SALSA VERDE
- SWEET RED PEPPER
- DRIED APRICOTS
- LIME JUICE
- GARLIC CLOVES
- GROUND CUMIN
- WHITE PEPPER
- HOT PEPPER SAUCE
- FLOUR TORTILLAS (8 INCHES)
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS – REDUCED-FAT SOUR CREAM, THINLY SLICED GREEN ONIONS, CUBED AVOCADO, SHREDDED REDUCED-FAT CHEDDAR CHEESE AND CHOPPED TOMATO
Slow Cooker Pork Tacos
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 boneless pork sirloin roast 2 pounds, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups salsa verde
- 1 medium sweet red pepper chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ¼ cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce I left this out
- 10 flour tortillas 8 inches, warmed
- Reduced-fat sour cream thinly sliced green onions, cubed avocado, shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese and chopped tomato, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Shred pork with two forks. Place about 1/2 cup pork mixture down the center of each tortilla. Serve with toppings if desired. Yield: 10 tacos. *** I strained the meat mixture in a metal colander reserving some of the juice. I shredded the meat mixture and added a couple of tablespoons of the juice. This way the meat wasn't too soupy.