This whole week is gonna be Zucchini Fest at RMK. I have done this each summer since beginning my blog. I always plant one zucchini plant each year and it produces a bazillion zucchini, so I am always looking for new ways to consume it. We are beginning with zucchini fritters.
These are similar to zucchini cakes that I have shared before. However, there are two major differences. These zucchini fritters are baked not fried and instead of bread crumbs you use cornmeal/flour. The cornmeal adds some nice texture and baked is always healthier. I must admit though, I prefer the fried zucchini cakes. However, everything in moderation so I gotta do baked some of the time.
- ZUCCHINI SQUASH
- ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- PARMESAN CHEESE
- KOSHER SALT AND BLACK PEPPER
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 cups grated zucchini squash
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cornmeal
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic finely minced
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place zucchini inside a tea towel or flour sack towel and squeeze out excess moisture.
- In a bowl, add zucchini and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the remaining ingredients. The mixture with be sticky and thick. Continue to stir, it will thin down. You want it to look like a thick cake batter.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, divide batter into 6 mounds on the parchment using a spoon or ice cream scoop. Then flatten each mound with a spoon or your hand to form 4 inch rounds.
- Bake for 15 minutes or so, until the fritters are deep golden brown on the bottom. Then turn to broil and place on the second highest rack in your oven. Broil on high for a few minutes, you want to crisp them up but watch carefully so they won't burn. Serve with rach dressing or marinara. Makes 6 fritters.
Recipe adapted from The Yellow House.