At Christmastime, there was a potluck lunch at my work. One of my fellow co-workers brought in this winter vegetable soup and it was amazing. I had to get the recipe.
This soup includes potatoes, celery, carrots, zucchini and corn. My family isn’t big on zucchini unless it’s hidden in baked goods, so I left it out when I made this soup. I just adjusted the other vegetables to compensate for the zucchini. However, I think the zucchini in this is delicious.
Winter Vegetable Soup
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced celery
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2-3 potatoes diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cups water
- 1 cube or 1 tsp beef bouillon
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp crush basil
- pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups zucchini quartered and sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup evaporated milk divided
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a stock pot, saute onion and celery in butter just until tender. Add in the potatoes, carrots, water, bouillon, salt, basil, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add in the zucchini and frozen corn.
- Add in 2/3 cup of the evaporated milk. With the remaining 1/3 cup evaporated milk, mix in 1 tbsp flour and into pot. Stir in and cook until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat and mix in cheese until melted. Serves 4-6.