I love a good breakfast casserole. I love to have them for breakfast or for dinner.
Today, I’m sharing an easy tater tot breakfast casserole. One of our favorite breakfast recipes! I love the use of the tater tots in this instead of shredded or cubed hash browns. It gives you pockets of potatoes throughout the dish surrounded by eggs.
Ingredients to make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- FROZEN TATER TOTS
- COLBY JACK CHEESE
- ONION POWDER
- GARLIC POWDER
- SALT & PEPPER
How to make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Start with a 9 x 13 baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Add frozen tater tots in a single layer on the bottom of the baking dish.
Cook and crumble bacon, then sprinkle it over the tater tots. However, you could always swap it out for cooked sausage or diced ham if you would like. Or you could even use a combination of any of those three.
The egg mixture used in this is pretty basic. A dozen eggs are accompanied by shredded cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Pour the mixture over the tater tots and bacon. Then, the whole thing gets a sprinkling of more cheese on top.
Next, the tater tot breakfast casserole bakes in the oven. Bake it at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until the eggs are set. You don’t want them jiggly.
Then, you could always sprinkle a little a green onion on each serving if you’d like as a garnish. Serve it with some fresh fruit or toast for a great filling breakfast!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can this casserole be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can assemble the casserole ahead and refrigerate overnight before baking.
How should leftovers be stored?
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat in the oven or microwave.
How do I safely handle eggs?
To handle eggs safely, wash your hands before and after touching them. Keep eggs in the fridge. Cook eggs until both the white and yolk are firm. Do not eat raw eggs to reduce the risk of getting sick from food.
For More Breakfast Casserole Recipes, Try:
- Sausage Apple Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- Amish Breakfast Casserole
- Overnight Christmas Breakfast Casserole
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Real Mom Kitchen
- ½ or a 32 oz bag frozen tater tots
- ½ lb bacon cooked and crumbled
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups Colby Jack shredded cheese
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Lay frozen tater tots in a single layer on the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon over the tater tots.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper together until smooth.
- Then stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese into the egg mixture.
- Pour egg mixture over tater tots and bacon. Make sure the egg mixture is spread out all on the bottom.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes. The egg mixture should be fully cooked and no longer jiggly.
This recipe is adapted from The Country Cook.