Today’s taco pizza recipe is one that I made for the Super Bowl. I got my inspiration from a recipe I saw at Jolene’s Culinary Adventures. The great thing about this recipe is you can cut it into large squares and serve it as a main dish. Or you can cut it into smaller squares and serve it as an appetizer.
The original recipe gets topped with tomatoes, olives, and and green onion and the placed back in the oven to melt with the cheese. I like to just add the cheese and bake it. Then I top it with the tomatoes, olives, and green onion and drizzle with sour cream. I love the contrast of the the hot pizza with the cold fresh toppings. However, either way you make it is awesome.
This is yummy and easy to put together. You can’t loose with pizza at my house. I also created a completely cold version of this that I will share tomorrow.
- 1 lb.ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning mix
- 2 (8 oz) tubes Pillsbury crescent rolls
- 1 (16 oz) can refried beans (I used the jalapeño kind)
- 2–3 cups shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican blend
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Optional topping, sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet, brown ground beef and drain. Add taco seasoning to the ground beef according to the package directions.
- Unroll crescent rolls into rectangles. Place in ungreased 11 1/2 inch x 16 1/2 inch jelly roll pan or cookie sheet. Press dough over the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides to form crust. Bake at 375 oven for 11 to 13 minutes or just until golden brown.
- Microwave beans in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute. Carefully spread beans over warm crust creating a thin layer.
- Top with cooked beef mixture, sprinkle with. At this pot you can also add the tomatoes, black olives and green onion or you can wait until after cooking and add the tomatoes, olives and green onion. Either way, return to oven for 3-6 more minutes until cheese is melted. Serve immediately and drizzle with sour cream if desired. Makes 12 main dish servings or 48 appetizers.
- Category: main dish
- Cuisine: Mexican, American
These are the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in June 2018.