Here is a fun way to mix up regular old burgers. Why not give them a taco twist? These taco burgers are also a great way to use up those smashed tortilla crumbs left in an almost empty bag of tortilla chips that you probably have in your pantry.
The crushed chips are mixed in the meat and placed on top on the burger at the end for added texture and crunch! In addition to the tortilla chips mixed into the meat, you have some salsa, garlic salt, and chili powder.
I cooked these patties on my outdoor grill but feel free to cook them the way you want to. The stove top or air fryer are some other good options.
Now once your burgers are cooked, they are ready to go on the bun. We like to top these burgers with cheese, lettuce, salsa, mayo, and green onion.
I think some guacamole would also be excellent on these burgers. If you use the guacamole you could skip the may and salsa if you want. You would be getting that creamy texture of the mayo from the creamy avocado. You would also be getting the added flavor of the salsa of your guac includes tomatoes and spices.
These burgers are a fun change from your regular old hamburgers. You could even serve these burgers for taco tuesday!
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 cup salsa, divided
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips, divided
- 1 Tbsp garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 8 slices of cheddar or American cheese
- 8 hamburger buns
- 1/2 cup green onion
- Combine the ground beef with 1/4 cup of the salsa, 1/2 cup of the crushed tortilla chips, garlic salt, and chili powder. Shape into 8 patties.
- Grill patties until fully cooked. Top each patty with a slice of cheese and allow to sit on the grill until cheese is melted.
- Serve patties on buns and top with green onion, remaining salsa, remaining crushed tortilla chips, lettuce, and mayo.
Adapted from a recipe in a Smith’s mailer.