When I was growing up, every year for Halloween my mom would make homemade chili. Since having my own children, I decided to carry on the tradition. Last year, I did decide to stray from the original recipe slightly. I wanted to make a quicker version. My mom’s original recipe required soaking the bean the night before. I opted to utilize canned beans to make life easier.
Mom’s chili recipe also has a secret ingredient – brown sugar. It adds the level of sweetness, but the classic chili powder still gives it that chili kick. This recipe makes a lot. I was able to feed my family and three of my son’s friends, plus have leftovers. You could always make half a recipe if you need to. Tomorrow, I’ll show you my favorite thing to do with the leftovers.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 medium onion
- 5 (15 oz each) cans of kidney beans, undrained
- 2 (6 oz each) cans tomato paste
- 2 (10 ¾ oz each) cans condensed tomato soup
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- In a stock pot, brown onion and ground beef until beef is no longer pink; drain.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour. Serves 8-10.
Real Mom Kitchen Original Recipe.