I recently discovered something called South Carolina bird dogs. It’s like a hot dog, however, you use a crispy chicken strip instead of a beef frank.
In addition to the chicken strip there are 3 other components beside the bun that make up the bird dog. You need slices of cooked bacon along with shredded cheese and honey mustard dressing or sauce. I used Sweet Baby Ray’s honey mustard dipping sauce.
These South Carolina bird dogs were a hit with the family. It was a delcious new approach to the use of the hot dog bun.Print
- 8 sliced cooked bacon
- 8 breaded chicken fingers, cooked
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup honey mustard dressing or sauce
- 8 hot dog buns
- To assemble, place a strip of bacon in each bun followed by a breaded chicken strip.
- Sprinle cheese over the bird dogs followed by a drizzle of the honey mastard dressing or sauce. Serves 8.
- Category: Sandwiches
- Cuisine: American
Recipe is adapted from She Wears Many Hats.