It’s Taco day! These smothered Fritos Taco Bowls are a fun and different way to enjoy tacos. My oldest son’s girlfriend who doesn’t like tacos even enjoyed these!
They begin with Fritos corn chips for the base. Next you add on rice. You can use plain rice, which is what I used. Or you can use a flavored rice like a cilantro lime rice if you’d prefer.
Next, comes a saucy beef and bean mixture that is all prepared in the slow cooker. Finally, the toppings come into play. You can use whatever toppings you like on your tacos such as shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, avocado, guacamole, cilantro etc. I served it with a cilantro lime crema by Don Pancho that I found at Costco. Apparently, it’s suppose to be the same sauce that comes with Costco’s chicken street tacos. Most of us thought it was a great addition to these taco bowls.
Smothered Fritos Taco Bowls
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 16 oz each cans Bush’s Best Chili Beans in mild chili sauce (any kind will do, I used the white bean)
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 10 oz can Rotel (I used mild)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 1 oz pkg taco seasoning
- 1 10 oz bag Fritos corn chips
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Favorite taco toppings such as shredded cheddar cheese lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, avocado, guacamole, fresh cilantro, etc.
- In a skillet, brown beef and onions together over medium heat until beef is fully cooked. Drain off any excess grease and add to the slow cooker along with the beans, tomato sauce, Rotel, corn, and taco seasoning. Stir until combined.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours.
- To serve, add a handful of Fritos to the bottom of a bowl, followed by a small layer of rice, a large spoonful of the beef and bean mixture. Then top with your favorite taco toppings. Serves 6-8.
This recipe adapted from Sweet Little Blue Bird.