I have a new thing for you to make with a chuck roast – slow cooker cuban beef. This beef slow cooks all day until tender and falling apart. Then it gets cooked in some oil to crisp of the edges of the beef. I loved this, my family didn’t like it as much. You could always skip crisping up the beef if you think you won’t like it either. I love the added texture it gives the beef so next time crispy beef for me only!
Then it gets combined with some cooked onion and a citrus mixture. The citrus mixture gives the beef some nice fresh flavor. I served it in street style tacos – a double layer of warm corn tortillas, pico, and avocado. You can always add cheese and fresh cilantro too.
This would work well for Super Bowl Sunday also. You could even slow cook the beef ahead of time. Warm it a little before you crisp it up and follow the recipe the rest of the way.
- 2 lbs. boneless chuck roast
- salt and pepper
- 2 cup beef broth
- 6 cloves of minced garlic, divided
- 3 1/2 tsp canola oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tsp grated lime zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C water
- Season roast with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker along with beef broth and 2 of the minced cloves of garlic. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat falls apart and shred easily. Remove from crock pot and shred beef adding a little of the cooking liquid if needed to moisten the beef.
- In a bowl combine remaining 4 cloves of garlic, 1 tsp of oil and cumin.
- In another bowl, combine orange juice, lime zest, and lime zest.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in skillet on medium high.
- Add onion and 1/4 tsp salt to the skillet and cook until onions are golden brown. You want them to get color and charring on them, this means flavor!
- Add in 1/2 cup water over onions and cook until liquid evaporates. Remove onions from pan and set aside
- Add in 1 1/2 tsp oil into pan and heat. Add beef and cook until edges are crisp, about 2-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat and move meat to edges of pan and add in garlic mixture in the center, stir and cook until fragrant and golden brown, about a minute or so.
- Remove from heat and add in juice mixture and cooked onion.
- Stir to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe adapted from sweet Leigh Anne over at Your Home Based Mom.