With New Years resolutions underway, many people are looking for healthier ways to cook their food. Today, I have a baked version of a chimichanga. Deep frying in oil is replaced by brushing these baked chicken chimichangas with melted butter or margarine and baking in the oven.
The filling is easy to make with few ingredients. It is perfect way to use up leftover chicken or can be made with a rotisserie chicken. Then top with your favorite toppings – sour cream, guacamole, salsa, extra cheese, etc. This is another great recipe to make using a rotisserie chicken.
- 2/3 cup salsa or picante
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1 1/2 cup cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 sliced green onions
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 Tbsp melted butter or margarine
- guacamole, salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream, etc for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine salsa, cumin, oregano, chicken, cheddar cheese, and green.onion together until well blended.
- Divide filling between the 6 tortillas. Roll up burrito style and place on baking sheet.
- Brush each with melted butter and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve topped with desired toppings. Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from Food.com