I swear I can never have enough slow cooker recipes for any type of Mexican dish. My family loves them and there are so many different flavor combinations. This Slow Cooker Tacos Verde is made with chicken thigh and salsa verde! You can always substitute chicken breasts if you prefer.
This meat was flavorful and moist. The other great thing with this recipe is you can use the meat in any Mexican dish you like – enchiladas, burritos, tostadas, nachos, etc. I used the leftovers in a quesadilla which was equally delish.
- 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (16 oz.) jar of salsa verde
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- shredded cheese
- pico de gallo or fresh salsa
- tortilla shells
- Place chicken in the bowl of a slow cooker. Top chicken with the diced green chiles, cumin, onion and garlic. The pour the salsa over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from pot and shredded. Mix in enough of the juice leftover in the slow cooker to make the meat moist.
- Spoon chicken into tortillas and top with shredded cheese, guacamole and pico de gallo.
Recipe adapted from No Fuss Fabulous
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in February 2019.