What would Valentine’s week be without a cupcake recipe? This year I went for simplicity with the cupcakes. I made these simple white cupcakes for a party we had recently for my daughter. These are topped them with a yummy strawberry frosting that I have shared before. I would suggest adding a chocolate heart on top to give it more of Valentine look, but I think the cupcake with the beautifully pink colored strawberry frosting can also work just as well.
I didn’t pile the frosting too high on the cupcakes. So, I was able to get away with one recipe of frosting. If you want a generous amount of frosting then I recommend making 1 1/2 batches of the frosting.
This recipe is perfect because it begins with a cake mix but adds some extra ingredients to give it more of homemade flavor, plus it extends to mix. This recipe will get you 36 cupcakes so you will have plenty to enjoy and to give away as a Valentine treat.
Also, my friend Wendy Paul has entered a cupcake contest. She is the author of the 101 Gourmet Cookies, Cupcakes, and Cake Bites. I am try to help her get votes on her entry. If you wouldn’t mind popping over to celebrations .com and giving her a vote, it would be appreciated! I sampled the cupcake she has entered and it is DELISH!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract ( I used clear vanilla to keep that pure white color)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt until well blended.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the mixture and beat with a mixer/hand mixer for two minutes.
- Fill 36 lined cupcakes 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake according to directions on the cake mix.
- Allow to cool and frost with frosting.
Adapted from Our Best Bites.