Here’s another zucchini recipe that I had to give a try. I found the recipe on recipezaar.com. There were several things that drew me to this zucchini cupcakes with caramel frosting recipe. First, it being in the form of a cupcake. Second, that it’s topped off with a caramel frosting. Last was the ingredients in the cake itself. I liked the new combination of orange juice, almond extract, and cloves.
Most of the zucchini recipes I’ve tried have consisted of cinnamon as the only spice so I was looking forward the the addition of the cloves. I also liked the almond extract in these too. It added a nice buttery element to these little cakes. These were yummy and different from the norm. You could probably top these with cream cheese frosting, but I liked the caramel for a change. YUMMY!!!!
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- Caramel Frosting:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2–2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil, orange juice and extract. Combine dry ingredients; add to the egg mixture and mix well. Add zucchini and mix well.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cupcakes test done. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- For frosting, combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm.
- Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes. Makes 24 cupcakes.
These are the original photos from this post. The above photo was updated in August 2017.