Today is my 3 year blogoversary and I’m celebrating with strawberry cupcakes! Yep, it has been 3 years since I decided to start this little blog. It has been so fun. It has been fun to see my blog grow and evolve to what it is today. Also, I am so grateful for all of you who come here to check out what I have to share.
Also, I have really enjoyed the friendships that have blossomed from this blog. I have friends from all over the United States that I never would have had the opportunity to know if it wasn’t for my blog. Ok, enough of the sappy stuff, let’s move onto today’s recipe. We are celebrating my blogoversary with cake, cupcake that is.
Today’s recipe is one that I developed for a baby shower for my sister-in-law.
I was in charge of cupcakes for the shower. I decided I was going to serve the perfect lemon cupcakes along with another flavor. Now, I wanted something that had a fresh flavor and made me think of spring. It would also need to complement the lemon cupcakes. I settled on strawberry and I wanted to make them scream strawberry.
These cupcakes get their strawberry flavor from actual strawberries (frozen with syrup) in addition to strawberry gelatin. The gelatin also give it moistness. Then there is the frosting. I must let you know that the frosting does contain 1 1/2 cups of butter. Yep that is right it is not a typo, 1 1/2 cups of butter. It needs that much butter to get a nice consistency because the frosting also includes more of the frozen strawberries with the syrup. Just remember they are cupcakes so they are portion controlled as long as you can control how many of them you eat.
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 white cake mix
- 1 3 oz box of strawberry gelatin
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- ½ cup of frozen sliced strawberries in syrup thawed
- ½ cup water
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup frozen sliced strawberries in syrup thawed
- 1 ½ cups butter softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tins with 24 cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the cake mix, gelatin, oil, 1/2 cup of the strawberries, and water until combined. Then beat in the eggs 1 at a time until well incorporated.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with batter, do not over fill. If you have extra batter then make a couple more cupcakes because if you over fill the liners the cupcakes will spill over the edges and you will have more of a flat top cupcake.
- Bake at 350 for about 16 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Place the 2/3 cup of strawberries into a blender and puree. Place the butter in a bowl and using a mixer beat until smooth.
- Add half the powdered sugar to the butter and beat until all combined and fluffy. Then beat in the strawberry puree until well blended.
- Beat in the remaining powdered sugar until combined and fluffy. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
Cupcake recipe adapted from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood. Frosting recipe a Real Mom Kitchen Original!