Berries are something I love and they are great on top of ice cream. This roasted balsamic berry topping makes the berries even better.
Roasting the berries brings out the natural sugars and enhances the flavor, almost caramelizing them. The balsamic vinegar helps the berry flavor deepen with giving it a slight tang. This process really just takes the berries to a completely different level.
Now I am showing this recipe as an ice cream topping, but this sauce is super versatile. It would be excellent to serve over oatmeal, yogurt, pancakes, waffles, French toast, vanilla pudding or custards, creme brulee, cheesecake, pound cake, angel food cake. Heck you could even serve them even in a dessert cup along with a dollop sweetened whipped cream. Anywhere you would enjoy berries, you can use this roasted balsamic berry topping.
- 1 (6 oz) container raspberries
- 1 (6 oz) container blackberries
- 1 cup hulled and quartered strawberries
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with a parchment paper.
- In a bowl, toss everything together.
- Pour onto the prepared baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake at 300 degrees, tossing occasionally, for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Serve over ice cream or just about anything else you would serve berries on.