Let your slow cooker help you with your spring brunch! How about a hot bowl of overnight slow cooker oatmeal waiting for you when you wake up? Just mix it all up the night before and it cooks in your slow cooker while you sleep! It is easy and so DELICIOUS!
You can add 3/4 cup of dried fruit to it while it cooks, but I prefer to top mine with a little brown sugar and some fresh fruit. Serve this at your brunch and have an oatmeal bar. Just have the oatmeal already to go in the slow cooker. Then serve it with milk and various topping such as nuts, brown sugar, fresh bananas, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, etc.
The overnight slow cooker oatmeal recipe does require the use of steel cut oats. You need a hearty oat to hold up during the long cooking process. Don’t use any other kind. I used Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats.
If you have leftovers, just refrigerate in individual portions. I used some GLAD containers. Then just empty into a bowl and microwave, add a little milk to get the desired consistency and your set. I think I will be making this frequently now for a nice hot breakfast on those busy school mornings.
Overnight Slow Cooker Oatmeal
Real Mom Kitchen
- 6-8 cups of water depending on the consistency you prefer for your oatmeal I used 7 cups
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Spray the insert of your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray or use a slow cooker liner.
- Add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker and stir until well combined.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- In the morning, stir the oatmeal. It will thicken more after you give it a stir. Unplug the slow cooker and let sit for 5 minutes. Your oatmeal is now ready to serve.
- Serve topped with fresh fruit and brown sugar. Serves 6-8.
Recipe adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.