Happy New Year Everyone! I decided to start the new year off with a hot cocoa/hot chocolate themed week. The holidays are now over and it is the perfect time to curl up with a warm cup of hot cocoa or hot chocolate. Enjoy a cup while you play the new games from Christmas or read a story with the kids. You can also warm up after some time spent in the snow sledding or building a snowman. First up in this chocolaty week is a rich and decadent hot chocolate.
Now you usually make hot chocolate with actual chocolate and you make a hot cocoa with cocoa powder. This version is extremely chocolaty and made with semi-sweet chocolate. I would say this drink is the espresso equivalent for the hot chocolate family. This is seriously just like chocolate but in drinkable form. It will take you to chocolate heaven. The rinchness is just increased with the use of evaporated milk.
Since it is so chocolaty, serving this in an espresso size cup will do just fine. If it is too rich for your blood, then just add some milk to reduce the intensity. I loved it and think it could even serve this rich and decadent hot chocolate as a dessert.Print
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate or 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the milk, chocolate, sugar, salt over medium-low heat until the chocolate is completely melted and everything is blended together.
- Stir in the vanilla. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat off and let the hot cocoa sit (still covered) for 5 minutes before serving. Give it a whisk and serve immediately. Makes 6 servings that are around 1/3 cup each.
Recipe adapted from Sing for Your Supper.