Pizza is one of those things that I think just about everyone loves. There is just something about that crust topped with tomato sauce, gooey cheese, and assorted toppings.
Today, I took from Jeff Mauro (The Sandwich King) on Food Network. He is always turning just about anything into a sandwich. So this is pizza, but in sandwich form.
My daughter and I both love to watch Jeff Mauro. My daughter really finds him a crack up and is always laughing as we watch each episode. His show always inspires me to look at different ways to take classic flavors.
Instead of pizza crust, you use a sub roll for this sandwich version. Then you top it with sauce and cheese along with whatever toppings, or in this case, fillings you want. We used salami and pepperoni on ours.
It doesn’t stop there though. To finish this off, the top of the sandwich gets a coating of garlic butter! These pizza sandwiches are pizza heaven on a roll!
- 4 sub rolls
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 3 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- toppings such as pepperoni, salami, sausage, olives, mushrooms, etc.
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Open sub rolls down the middle and spread pizza sauce evenly between each piece.
- Top the bottom pieces of rolls with mozzarella. Sprinkle on your preferred pizza toppings. Top with Parmesan.
- Place the top halves of the sub rolls over the sandwich.
- In a bowl, combine the butter, garlic, onion powder, and parsley together. Spoon over the tops of the sandwiches.
- Bake for 10- 15 minutes or until the bread is toasty and the cheese has melted. serves 4.
Recipe adapted from Buns in My Oven.