The combination in this soup is one you probably have’t seen before. This one pot ham, white bean, and tortellini soup is an amazing trio of ingredients.
Don’t let the long list of ingredients scare you away. This is still a simple soup to make and it is all made in one pot! The soup is full of flavor and is another new favorite. My family raved about this cream based soup.
I added in the red pepper flakes. It gives the soup just a little bite. I think it was perfect and so did my oldest son. However, for my husband who isn’t big on spice, said it was too much for him. So add it if you like the bite, but it is completely optional to use.
Half and half is added at the end to make this soup nice and creamy. However, you can skip the cream if you want for a broth version of the soup. Just add in more chicken broth if needed to reach the desired consistency. You could also leave out the flour and cornstarch if you want the broth version. However, I like the added thickness it gives even when opting for the broth version.
One Pot Ham, White Bean, and Tortellini Soup
Real Mom Kitchen
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion chopped
- 2 diced carrots
- 2 stalks diced celery
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- ⅓ cup flour
- 6 cups chicken broth divided
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 2 15 oz cans cannellini beans, rinsed and rained
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp chicken bouillon
- 1 tsp dried parsley or 1 Tbsp fresh
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes optional
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 4 cups 1 lb frozen refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2-3 cups half and half
- In a stock pot, melt butter with olive oil. Add onions and saute for a couple of minutes, Add in the carrots and celery and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook just until fragrant. Sprinkle flour over veggies and cook while stirring for 3 minutes.
- Slowly add in 5 1/2 cups of the chicken broth and stir until flour blends in. Then mix the remaining 1/2 cup broth with the cornstarch. Slowly stir into the pot. Add the ham, beans, mustard, bay leaves, bouillon, and all of the remaining seasonings.
- Bring to a simmer and cover. cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally until veggies are tender.
- Add in tortellini and cook for a few minutes until tender. Stir in half and half. The amount used will depend on what consistency you want the soup to be. You could even leave it out and have a brothy version of this soup. Just add in more kitchen broth to get the desired consistency. Serves 6-8
Recipe adapted from Carlsbad Cravings.