I love soup and I love tortellini. This creamy chicken tortellini soup is both. I also LOVE mushrooms they are one of my top favorite vegetables. Those are in this soup too.
Now, there is a long list of ingredients for this recipe. However, don’t let that scare you off. It’s flavor to this soup. There are onion, galic, carrots, red pepper, plus those mushrooms. Then, you have Italian seasoning, rosemary, a bay leaf, and basil for seasonings.
The base of the soup is made with flour, chicken broth, cream, and Parmesan cheese. Last, there is chicken and tortellini. This is one amazing soup.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 medium diced carrots
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 heaping Tbsp chicken flavor Better Than Bouillon
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 (10 ounces) container fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup cooked and diced chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, julienned or 1 Tbsp dried basil
- In a large pot, add oil along with onion, garlic, carrots, red bell pepper, and mushrooms and cook until vegetables are soft. Sprinkle vegetables with flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in broth until smooth. Add in the Better Than Bouillon, Italian seasoning, rosemary, bay leaf, salt, black pepper, and Parmesan cheese and bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat and simmer, stirring often so cheese doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Add in the tortellini. Simmer, continue stirring occasionally, until tortellini is almost al dente. Stir in the chicken and cream. Continue to simmer until chicken is heated through.
- Remove from the heat and stir in basil. Serves 6.
This recipe is adapted from Gonna Want Seconds.